With the boom in online poker industry came the online poker software companies. Broadly three categories of online poker software are there: pre-game, game play, and post-game.
This is the training type of applications. An example of this would be a bubble trainer
Game play software
This software offers information which helps in decision making during a game. An example of this would be an odds calculator.
The post-game software
This software helps a player in analyzing completed games.
When you are purchasing online poker software you need to keep certain things in considerations as mentioned below.
- Price and features: It is a good idea to compare the competing brands in terms of their prices and features offered. There may be a brand offering more number of features within the same price range.
- Computer: You need to ensure that your computer is able to handle the additional processing demand. An old computer may give slowdowns
- Site specific softwares; there are some software’s that support particular poker room. So you need to ensure that the software chosen supports your poker room.
- Internet Connection: Adequacy of internet’s speed and capacity is essential for the software to run properly
- Multiple Products; Incase of usage of multiple products, their compatibility should be checked for.
- Adequate data storage capacity: on your computer is essential as some products are web based and some products will store data on your computer.
- Software application: There are software that are stand alone while some need to be used with other for enhanced features.
- Support: You need to ensure that there is a good customer support system in place so that if any issue arises with the software, you have a prompt solution.
- No single software: Always remember that no single software will solve your issues; you will need a combination of software’s offering different things to meet your requirements. This is essentially seen with most players.
- Free trials: Good idea to accept the free trial of the software as this gives an opportunity to check the product offerings and your expectations meeting
- End User License Agreement (EULA): You need to check this to ensure that the product is permitted and can be used while playing; else your poker room account could be forfeited.
- Product research: A thorough research of the product reviews, insights, reviews and critiques is vital
- Multiple new products: You may need more than single software to meet your requirements, but that does not go to say that you need to overload with multiple software’s. Add the software’s one by one, once you are comfortable with the first software, then you can go on to add more as per your needs.
Just to remind you that the purpose of any software product should be to help you in learning how to make better poker decisions; in essence, to become better at the game and hence to become a good poker player.