Bringing you some of the Variants of Draw Poker because as Gore Vidal says:
“It’s not enough to succeed. Others must fail.”
And, in order to ensure that others fail, and we succeed, we must know different ways of playing poker. So there we go…
Apart from the standard 5-card draw, there are abundant variants; the list is endless. Bringing you a few of them with variations:
In order to play the game, arrange 5 cards for everyone. Keep the deck in the middle while everyone look at their cards. They can place one of their bad cards down in a pile by the deck and pull a card from the deck in exchange. Everyone does that till the time one of the players gets a good hand and says, “I call”. Players bid to see the highest hand.
This game is quite similar to 5-card draw, except everyone draws until someone calls. One can use 2’s as wild cards.
7-Card Draw Poker
All players are handed over 7 cards. They abandon up to 3 cards face down, which are ultimately swapped followed by a round of betting.
This is tailed by 2 rounds in which each player abandons a card, face up this time, followed by a round of betting. This poker is played a maximum of five players.
In case of more than five players, one can always use 2 decks.
Pass the Trash (Anaconda)
Distribute 7 cards to each player. Each player then selects 3 cards to be handed over to the player on their left. These cards are simply kept on the table near the left opponent. The players get to see their new 3 cards once everyone has made a pass.
Later, the process is repeated with 2 cards and then again with 1-card. Players then abandon 2 cards to make their best 5-card poker hand.
Maximum of 7 ‘pokers’ can play, passing out a total of 49 cards and having 3 left over.
Pass the trash can have many variations, like:
- Including joker cards
- Labelling certain cards as wild
- Players can be dealt 6-cards instead of 7 cards in the beginning
- Changing the number of cards passed
- Changing as to whom the cards are passed
- Eliminating all betting rounds, and many more.
The number of players that can play is three to seven. Give five down cards to each player.
The betting round starts right after the deal which begins usually with the player sitting to the left of the dealer.
After the betting round, every player can exchange up to 3 cards. Another round of betting follows, succeeded by the showdown.
With less than 6 players, a player can draw 4 cards if they show that their remaining card is an Ace.
The one with the high hand wins the game.
There are certain standard variations to this as well:
- Including wild cards
- The highest hand the lowest hand split the pot
- Lowball: meaning that the lowest hand wins the poker
This can be played with three to five players.
Below mentioned rules apply to a game of four:
- Distribute 6 cards down to each player (batch of 3, 2, 1)
- Place a single card (face down) to the centre of the table in order to form the trash hand.
- What now follows is the betting round.
- It is mandatory for every person to either change three cards or fold.
- It is mandatory for every player to either change two cards or fold.
- It is mandatory for every player to either change 1 card or fold.
- Every player should put 1-card; face down, into the trash hand in order to make five trash cards. In case any player has folded the round of betting, more cards may be added from the deck to make up five cards in the trash hand.
- After the showdown, the best hand wins the pot.
- Finally the trash hand is revealed 1 card at a time. If any player fails to beat the trash hand must pay penalty.